Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Mazatlan

Mazatlan is a lot bigger than I remember. There are a lot of people bustling. It has a very distinct Mexican flavor in the old historic distric with the bright colored concrete architecture of stacked blocks; a regular Mexican San Francisco. I forgot how charming it is to walk along the beach and look at all the colors and styles and just smile.

We got a response from a WOOFer farm South of here, but they require a month of commitment and if they are going to be so strick I am glad not to donate my toils. Although it would be nice to have a place to hang my helmet for longer than a couple nights.

I have developed a case of the butt rot. Closely related to the dreaded crotch rot, my cheeks are red and raw from a month and a half of riding. We have covered quite a few miles and quite a few kilometers and the soggy shamey is just not enough against the force of friction on my cheeks and my seat.
Otherwise, my body feels great.

Four nights ago we took a rest day on a beach named Ceurta. It was splended. Swimming in the ocean, few bugs, beer. Unfortunately, I suffered the loss of my boots. I no longer have the super boots. I cried, a little.
Yesterday, Leah bought me some shoes for our two year anniversary. She is so good to me.

Also, we got to spend a day here in Mazatlan, on Vente de Novembre, the day of the revolution. There was a parade of all the regional schools doing marching and wearing outfits, it was nice for twenty minutes. But, we met a couple from Italy and hung out with them for the day. They had come from London were they worked in the best Italian restraut. They had learned English and could speak Spanish in addition to their mother tongue. It was nice to got to market and have a picnic with another traveling couple because they bicker like we do. Maybe more than we do. Probably not. Anyways, it was fun.

The future, who knows? We will leave Mazatalan and head, you guest it, South. In 25 kilometers we can get on the coastal highway and have the option of escaping the heat with a dip in the sea.

Other things learned in Mexico:
Get food when you can get food.
Get water when you can get water.
Rest in the shade.

No comments: