Saturday, January 19, 2008

Second Attempt

I think the next time I try to surf I will rent a long board. Leah says it is a lot easier than the short, surly little boards that so many people make look so easy.

Leah worked on her day off and then demanded that she have two days off in a row. Everyone in the restaurant gave her hell for it, but it gave an opportunity to go to Tecla. An hour and half south of Tecoman, we got off the bus in the middle of no where and walked down the road to the beach and small indigenous town of Tecla. I found a guy that trusted me enough to rent his board to me, and Leah and I tryed for the second time to surf.

I stood on the board. I caught a wave. I got dropped on my head. I got worked more times than I can count. I am not famous.

Surfing is a majestic sport of grace, timing and is also terrifying. For someone who grew up in a landlocked state, the ocean is scary. Big walls of water crashing over me is "fun" is "cool" and a "workout". I went into fetal position and covered my head with my arms, scared that I would smash into the rocky beach after a huge wave crashed on me. It was kinda creepy to hear the waves bouncing the big rocks after been thrown underwater by a wave.

Now we are back in Colima. We moved into a different apartment because of the overbearing neighbors at the last place. We were required to notify the owners of any visitors and it was difficult to have anyone over for beer or socializing. The new place is less aesthetic but is more convenient for hospitality, and the owner's sister is not watching our every move. Double plus.

ps. the new address is

Madre Selva 268-A
Colima, Col. 28000
Mexico

No comments: