Monday, January 7, 2008

Working in méxico...

So my latest update is that I am now a waitress at a restaurant called Los Portales, working 40 hours a week busting my behind taking orders, serving coronas and keeping the place looking clean. Apparently it´s common to work at least 6 days a week, if not 7 and they do not take breaks. We get to eat one meal during the 8 hour day and only when there´s a slow moment with few customers...tough stuff! And we only make $5 (per day!) plus tips, which have varied from $3 to $14 so far. So I´m not sure how long I will last in this business...but it´s been a very interesting experience so far. It´s given me a window into Mexican life and culture that I wouldn´t have necessarily seen from afar...and the extra money helps quite a bit.
The other news is that we´re moving to another apartment close to the old one but with less restrictions...this place definitely has an extra room for visitors and we don´t have to worry about our anal landlord wanting to know who is coming in and out all the time. I think it´s going to be a good change because more friends will hopefully come over, it´s easier to find and I think we´ll be more comfortable there...so that should happen by the end of the week!
Anyway, much love to all of you and please send news from afar!
xxoo

2 comments:

sharky said...

Hi Meems,

Thinking about a trip south in February or March. Anybody else want to go? Hey, whazzup with the pic of Shark's nose holes? How'd that get in there?

Shark

K-ear-uh said...

Oh man...you guys look tan. And I love that picture of you trying to squeeze in some kissies with bike helmets ("Leah, could you tilt your head 45 degrees to the left...")

Bummer about the apt - it looks cute, too. Oh well...onto bigger, better things. And I like that you do this in mind of visitors...maybe I will take you up on a floorscrap now that I have (angels) a passport!